Friday, February 8, 2013

Healthier Valentines Cherry Pies


I could pretend I was inspired by Valentines day but honestly it was the leftover wonton wrappers in the fridge. Last week I saw some Heart shaped pocket pies and thought I'd try to use the wrappers instead of pastry. It was also yet another way to use our giant stash of frozen cherries. Daddy Piwi bought a lot when he realised they were helping his joint boo boos.

For the filling

1/2 c frozen cherries
one grated unpeeled apple (this acts as a natural thickener)
2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Simmer all ingredients over a med -low heat, stiring constantly. Let it reduce some to become abit thicker. It ended up making more than enough for 12 mini pies. We cut the wrappers with small heart shaped cookie cutters. Each pie only needed a teaspoon of filling. If you overfill them they are going to burst. When they were sealed (by brushing water around the edges), Mini Piwi brushed them with a little safflower oil.

 They baked for about 8 mins at 350degrees before they turned golden. When they cooled you can be fancy and dust them with powdered sugar.


They have a light crispy texture and are satisfyingly crunchy. The filling was really nice and not too sweet.

I had some filling left over so we made them again when I got some more wrappers....Unfortunately now I had leftover wonton wrappers again. Hopefully I will be inspired when I open the fridge again soon...
Foodie Friends Friday
 

About