Friday, February 15, 2013

Crispy Tortilla fish burgers for Lent

Recently I saw a recipe for Southwestern Tuna cakes that used crushed tortilla chips instead of breadcrumbs. The original recipe looked  a bit spicy for the kids (and I didn't have any cheese). Here is my version.


Ingredients
5 Oz can or pouch of Tuna in Water
1 cup of crushed Tortilla corn chips (I used baked not fried)
2 T Parmesan cheese
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 c diced red onion
2 T chopped Cilantro
1/4c salsa (I used a very mild one but you could use a spicier one)
2 Tbsp Canola oil

Combine all the ingredients except for the oil in a large bowl. Scoop out 1/4 cup portions of the mixture and form into patties. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a non stick pan over medium heat. Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden. Transfer to paper towel to drain any excess oil. Serve hot with rice, salad and extra salsa.

Piwi Daddy really enjoyed these.As for the Piwi's -when they thought it wasn't fish they liked it, then after full disclosure, they didn't.

I also attempted to make a vegan version with beans....


Foodie Friends Friday
 

About