Monday, December 10, 2012

Science for Christmas


Language, Math and History became our focus this month with our unit studies. Science, I thought, would need to wait until the new year. Thankfully, I came across a link on Science about Christmas Science Ideas. Pre K Mini Piwi will definitely love these ideas, she is all about ice! For Miss K (Grade 2ish) I went looking for more ideas. Several google searches later I decided we still had time to fit in some science by investigating electricity in order to find out how Christmas lights work. When I taught at a science camp several years ago I just went to radio shack and bought all the components for electrical circuit experiments. This time around I decided to 'cheat' and look for a kit.  I was so excited when I found a Magic school bus electricity kit.



Why is this exciting? Miss K loves the books and the episode re-runs so I purchased the Magic school bus DVD set last week. It was at such a great price I couldn't pass up the chance to add it to our curriculum. We received the kit and have started with the Static electricity experiments. So far I have been impressed with the quality of the information and materials included..

UPDATE:
Thanks so much to all the great posts added to this post! I have a follow up post with pictures from these links....
 

About